[Zope] RAM session management

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:10:55 PST

"stuart 'zen' bishop" <ze-@cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
>This is probably overkill.
>
>It is quite possible to store the information in a package global
>dictionary/class/datastructure of a standard Zope product - just make

Thanks for everyone that replied.

Scalability is very important to me. I have
to keep in mind eventual load balancing:
using more than one Zope webserver. So the
session data must be accessible from many
Zope servers. This makes the current FSSession
and Gadfly-based SQLSession unsuitable. Current
FSSession and SQLSession are all designed for
single-server configuration.

I could use SQLSession with another database,
(including an independent Gadfly), with some
optimization like keeping things in RAM during
a transaction. Cron job or explicit cleaning will
be needed to clean up the session_data table, if
computer crashes. For the immediate short term,
I guess I'll use this approach.

RAM session clears the session_data automatically
when the computer crashes. :) Performance is faster,
reliability is about the same as an SQLSession. It's
easy to scale up. When hackers attack, it's probably
better to have junk filling up my RAM than junk
filling up my disk/database. One drawback is it
gets expensive when you have too many users...
but that's probably OK.

Hung Jung