[Zope] searching Google and Catalog

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:18:27 -0600 (CST)

Well not simultaneously, but I am wondering how I can create a search
interface to both easily.

I've got this little search form at my site. You can view the object
itself at http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/google_search2

My intentions are obvious if you look at the link. Based on a radio button
in the form, I want to search either the ZCatalog or Google on a given
search string.

My first attempt was to start with the basic form (see link above) and
then pass the search choice (web or school) and the search string to
another DTML method which would, based on the value of the radio button
choice, do the appropriate search. That's where I get stuck.

I tried using a <dtml-call
RESPONSE.redirect('http://www.google.com/search?q=<dtml-var string>')>
This obviously won't work because I can't nest DTML tags. Plus, for Google
the query URLs have the items in the search string separated by + symbols.

Does anyone have any spare Zen for this? I think this would make an
interesting How-To, and I promise to write one if I (with whatever help is
necessary) get it figured out. BTW, I'd like to avoid Javascript if
possible. I'm trying to go for the lowest common denominator here.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/