[Zope] User/Subscriber advice on How-To

Jon Prettyman jprettyman@acm.org
22 Feb 2000 14:26:15 -0800

I'm trying to set up a registered subscription based site with Zope.
The powers that be want a cookie based authentication scheme, so I've
started by using GenericUserFolder to handle my authentication.  I'm
keeping my user account info in a /etc/passwd type file.  I have some
ExternalMethods I use to create user accounts that are accesible from
a ``register'' method in my acl_users folder.  So far so good.

The PTB want to add more account information such as e-mail address,
phone/fax etc.  I'm wondering if my best course of action at this
point would be to add this info to my account file in the form of
additional fields, or should I create some type of User class derived
from BasicUser to handle this.  If I go the class route, I'm a little
confused about what to derive where.  Does anybody have any
suggestions on what my best course of action would be?

-Jon