[Zope] Blocking download of files...

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:44:12 +0000

Juri Jensen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to block the abillity to download objects of type file (e.g. right-clicking on a file and choose "Save Link as...")?

Zope does not have a mechanism for this, as one HTTP request looks like
any other. However I think that it might be possible to 'hijack' the
right click using some javascript on the page. You'll have to
investigate that yourself elswhere, though.

> I'm asking because I have a site with PDF-files, which I want the users to read through their webbrowser (via the PDF-plugin), but not to download.

I'm going to guess that you're 'framing' the PDF with advertising in
some way, and don't want to lose the advertising revenue? A more user
friendly approach would be to include a low key sponsorship within the
PDF itself.

HTH,

Michael Bernstein.