[Zope] Object as members

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:04:47 -0500

From: Michel Pelletier [mailto:michel@digicool.com]
> Kent,
>
> I read your message several times and I'm afraid I don't
> understand it.
>
> Sin Hang Kin wrote:
> >
> > Some times ago, I ask about adding objects as members.
> However, it got no
> > answer. I went on searching other packages. I found Xen
> contains similar
> > functions. However, it is distrubted as source.
>
> Ok...  Is Xen written in C?  Just about all Python programs are
> distributed as source, this is almost the nature of Python (of course,
> you can just distribute the bytecode...)
>
> > Can someone kindly teach me how to compile the source on my
> win98. I would
> > like to make it with mingw32. However, the site which is
> list on the mail
> > archive is gone. Can somebody point me the way?
>
> This seems to imply that you are trying to compile (Xen?)
> with mingw32.
> I wasn't aware that Xen contained any C code, and I thought that the
> mingw32 was a C complier.  I could be wrong...

Xen includes the latest CVS versions of Acquisition.c and
ExtensionClass.c, as it claims to need these. As they are not included
with current Zope binaries,  Sin Hang Kin will have to compile them
himself.

> > Moreover, in Xen the object is passed to python code with
> "reference" and is
> > "dereference"  there. "reference" and "dereference" is defined in
> > referenceAware.
> >
> > I through this is a useful function for an oodb. Does the
> current ZODB
> > contain mechanism to do this without help of outside functions?
>
> Could you explain, in a Zope context, how you want to reference and
> dereference objects?  Do you want to pass them between C and Python or
> strictly in Python?

He wants to directly include references to other Zope objects (stored
elsewhere in the ZODB) from other Zope objects, from the web-interface I
believe, going beyond the current tree-structure.

--
Martijn Pieters, Software Engineer
http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8A32149