[Zope] Newbie missing something obvious

jeffr@odeon.net jeffr@odeon.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:36:02 -0600 (CST)

	Greetings all,

	I've been running Zope with the zserver web server for a while
	now, and the setup was a breeze.  I've been very impressed with
	Zope.

	Now I've been tasked with installing Zope on another machine which
	is running Apache 1.3.11.  From the documentation it looks like
	Zope+PCGI is going to suit my needs the best, but I'm having
	problems getting it to work (no surprise, given the large number
	of HOWTO's on the subject).

	I can get to the Welcome to Zope! page, and I can view the
	QuickStart material, but I'm unable to log in to the management
	interface.  I'm also unable to access Zope at:

		www.mydomain.com/Zope

	only at:

		www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi

	so I'm sure it's an Apache/rewrite problem.

	I've made sure that the username and password are what I think
	they are via the python script zpasswd.py, and given that I can
	access the Welcome to Zope/QuickStart material I think I've got
	Zope configured correctly.

	After reading through the various HOWTO's on the subject I've got
	my httpd.conf file entries set as follows (the Gotchas for Zope
	Beginners HOWTO was very helpful, as was the Zope and Apache on
	RedHat 6.1 HOWTO, even though they were slightly contradictory
	on the syntax for the RewriteRule).

	I'm using RedHat 6.0, Zope 2.1.4, Python 1.5.2, and Apache 1.3.11.
	Zope was installed from source, Python and Apache from RPMs.

	Here's the relavent bits from Apache's httpd.conf file...

LoadModule rewrite_module     modules/mod_rewrite.so

AddModule mod_rewrite.c

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"

#
# "/home/httpd/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
<Directory "/home/httpd/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# Zope configuration maps /Zope/ to the Zope.cgi CGI script
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  ^(.*)
RewriteRule ^/Zope(.*) /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi$1 \
	[e=HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:%1,t=application/x-httpd-cgi,l]

(Note: the RewriteRule is all on one line, without the \.  The trailing /
 after ^/Zope and after Zope.cgi have been removed per the Gotchas for
 Zope Beginners HOWTO.)

	I'm at a loss here.  I'm positive I'm missing something obvious,
	but I can't figure out what it is.

	Thanks for the help,

	Jeff Robertson
	jeffr@odeon.net