[Zope] is dtml-in doing a dtml-with? How do I turn off thatbehaviour?

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:13:06 +0000

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:30:09 -0600, "Kevin Meinert"
<kevn@vrac.iastate.edu> wrote:

>Is there a way to iterate over the elements in a folder other than
>dtml-in?  Maybe by using python for loops?

dtml is a _reporting_ language. Its good at transforming an object
model into an html view of those objects. Its particularly good when
the structure of your object database corresponds to the structure of
your view.

Its easy to fall into the trap of trying to make that transformation
too complex. (My main project is just beginning to feel the weight of
that problem now).

If you need to do something more complex (and from your description I
think you do) then you need a programming language, not a reporting
language.

I recommend that you write some python code (I missed the top of this
thread, but I guess you want it in an External Method) to create some
temporary objects whose structure matches what you want in your
document. Finally, use simple dtml to transform this intermediate
representation into html.

Fot an example of this technique look at the implementation of
objectValues itself.

I hope this helps,

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com