[Zope] wish list for zope in the new century

Wei Tao taow@bd748.pku.edu.cn
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 01:49:36 +0800

sorry for my poor english first :>

I search the zope site for "todo list" but find nothing,
and i can't catch the whole idea from those reports in
"zope bug and feature ... collector".

So, I want to discuss it in this maillist :>

I rather appreciate Zope, especially the excellent OO design
for a dynamic web site. But there are some areas Zope need to
improve in order to be real killer in the web application server market:

1. integeration for a good HTML(DTML) WYSIWYG editor
  e.g. a dreamwaver extesion for zope is rather appreciated
  ( I am not sure whether dreamwaver is the best, any suggestion ? )
  and a better integeration for a good python code
editor&debugger(IDLE?)
  is also rather appreciated.

2. better error report and suggestion
  For a new babie, current error reports for mistakes in DTML are rather

  horrible.

3. better apache support
  Hey, I think ZServer is just fit for developing. Apache is the real
world answer.
  Current support for apache is another shortcoming when comparing to
mod_perl,
  mod_php and mod_jserv >_<

4. a good cache for performance
  Zope IS slow when load is high. and a good cache mechanism will solve
  most of the question. And here is my idea:
  <dtml-cache cache-id  condition-for-cache-update>
    .... blah blah blah ...
  </dtml-cache>
  and a similiar function for external method.
  Two import point:
  a. A block of a page can be cached in order that the cache is
efficient when the page contains,
      e.g., a counter;
  b. We only need to cache the most accessible blocks which are also
most dynamic;
  Maybe we can steal some code from Squid :)

5. more killer app based on Zope like squishdot
  e.g. a good full-function forum based on Zope...
  Perhaps many people comes to Zope just because of squishdot :>

6. open source for ZEO development
  It is rather disappointing to see the door and window are closed for
ZEO's development :<<

7... your opinion?