[Zope] browser security

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:44:12 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Brian Lloyd wrote:

> I don't believe that the username:password part of the url
> ever actually go out on the wire - my understanding of this
> is that IE (or other browsers that support this construct)
> just accept this as a convenient shorthand and that they
> remove the username/pw and send it in a header as usual...
>
> As far as cracking tools, I can't imagine how this would
> have any impact one way or the other - it's really just
> a client convenience.

I guess it just seems easy to imagine a cracking tool like John the Ripper
that would start trying to guess passwords using the

http://user:password@site.com/

than messing around with headers in the http packets. But I'm not a
programmer. I may very well be overestimating the risk.

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/