[Zope] UPDATE: Apache + ZServer complete solution

anser anser@pobox.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 08:18:48 -0500

Jochen Haeberle [mailto:listen@MIDRAS.de] writes:
> At 21:33 Uhr -0500 04.01.2000, anser wrote:
> >Thanks to Evan Simpson (author of SiteAccess), I now have a complete
working
> >solution for embedding ZServer behind Apache, allowing all or part of a
> >website to run with fast, multithreaded Zope content while other legacy
> >content and configurations are unaffected.
>
> thanks for that interesting HowTo! I guess there's a rather big speed
> loss to this, even though it permits
> (apache-) server farms and threaded execution of ZServer. Doing a
> http-request always has a time overhead.

How are you measuring a "rather big speed loss"?  Loss when compared with
what?

If you are just saying that you imagine there _must_ be a penalty for using
ProxyPass, I suggest you try it first and see for yourself.  It's pretty
miniscule if there is one.  Definitely a lightweight "layer" compared to the
amount of processing time ZServer does, not to mention doing it via CGI.

> Do you or anyone else have an idea on how to set up a Zope-Site
> behind apache that serves most content including the HomePage from
> Zope but permits usage of plain apache-urls as well?

I haven't tested anything but you could probably accomplish this via
mod_rewrite.  The Apache content would need to live in some defined subtrees
and/or filetypes.