[Zope] (Win98) Working offline ...

Teodor Cimpoesu teo@digiro.net
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 19:43:31 +0200

Emile van Sebille wrote:

> I had a similar problem many years ago.  To get around
> it, I installed a software nic/loopback utility.  For NT,
> you can use the Microsoft Loopback adapter in
> control panel|network|adapters|add|MS Loopback Adapter.
>
> On win98, I understand that the Virtual Private Networking
> adapter serves the same purpose, but I've never used it.
>
> HTH
>
> Emile van Sebille
> emile@fenx.com
> -------------------

Sorry I accidentally M-d your previous post :(
The problem, as I know it so far is IE. You must work online to access
the localhost. But first, there might me another problem, namely
resolving
the localhost. So,  run a dos prompt and see if your lo is okay
by : `> ping localhost' and `>ping 127.0.0.1'.
Both must work. Also I heard of some problems when resolving the
`localhost'
name, so if that's yours then edit `c:\windows\hosts' file and add an
entry there
like `127.0.0.1 localhost' or something.
Then try tricking IE and access `http://2130706433/' which is just
localhost
in other words, except it doesn't try any name solving.
Then, if IE sais you must work offline or try again, say `Try again'.
Then, oh well, tell us what didn't work :-)

--
CIMPOESU Teodor, Web Programmer

@ DIGICOM S.A. Bucharest, Romania
@ Internet, site development