[Zope] Adding a ZClass to a specific location

Jason Spisak jason@mtear.com
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:51:48 GMT

I've actually redesigned my product to have nested ZClasses (which I am
finding out now are impossible to add when inherited).  I have a structure
like this:

MyProduct
  ZClass1
  MyBaseClass
    InsideBase
    InheritedFromInsideBase
      (I'm trying to create a ZClass2 instance inside here)
    ZClass2

I can create ZClass1 instance anywhere I want because they are at the top
level of my product.  But anytime I call the add form for ZClass2 inside my
inherited class it creates the instance inside MyBaseClass rather than
inside InheritedFromInsideBase.  This is probably making no sense.

Anyone who has had success with nesting ZClasses out there feel free to
jump in.

All my best,

Kevin Dangoor writes:

> Hi, Jason
>
>     I don't think it's a lost cause, per se. I'm just not really sure how to
> fix it. I've actually been thinking about making my own CatalogAware base
> class. My main purpose in changing it would be to make cataloging to
> catalogs other than "Catalog" work better. (Right now, your instance gets
> added to Catalog, then you need to remove it, set the proper catalog, then
> reindex the object. This doesn't work well at all with Versions.)
>
>     You may be able to hack your own CatalogAware such that you can control
> this aspect of cataloging. Or, something that requires a bit deeper Zen, you
> could try making an External Method that saves the path, changes it, adds
> the ZClass instance, and then sets the path back.
>
>     Not sure what the best way to accomplish this is, though...
>
> Kevin

Jason Spisak