[Zope] Problem with Zen's Logger product ...

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:31:39 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 100, Darran Edmundson wrote:

I'm not sure what pcgi.log is, but I don't think it is part of the
system the Logger product uses. Check out doc/LOGGING.txt in your Zope
installation - in particular the bits dealing with STUPID_FILE_LOGGER
if you want to log to a file. Best place for setting the environment
variables is in Zope's start script, or in Zope.cgi if Zope is being
started through this mechanism.

> (An aside, surely these go+w permissions on Data.fs and var are
> dangerous in terms of a local user destroying my ZODB?).  Can

Sure are.

> I somehow test Zope logging from the python command line by
> importing Zope and calling a logging function directly?

Its possible - but I have never bothered :-) It also wouldn't help much,
as what you need to test is the settings Zope is using when running
(eg. the STUPID_FILE_LOGGER env variable is set correctly, or ZSYSLOG_SERVER
is pointing to the correct machine).

If you are able to restart Zope, run it in debug mode and see what happens.
In debug mode, messages sent to the log system are displayed on
the console. You can use this to test the Logger product, and subsequently
your Zope logging settings.

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au