[Zope] Per-user Oracle connections

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:36:31 -0500

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
>    Is there any way to implement the following thing?

Yes.

>    I have an Oracle database, and by design every user that logs into the
> site will be connected to the DB with his/her login/password (that is,
> his/her Oracle login/password is the same as for WWW).
>
>    I am considering using Zope for the site, but the question is - how can
> I create one ZOracleDA connection for every user, and how can I use diferent
> connections for different users?

You can't.  However, you could create a new kind of connection
object that did this for you.  This should be a reasonably
straightforward hack of ZOracleDA:

  - Take a database name through the web.

  - Maintain an internal pool of actual connections, one per user.
    If this becomes expensive, then provide some logic for
    limiting the pool size by retiring unused conections or by
    only keeping connections for some function of a user hash.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.