[Zope] WebDAV, Zope object locking

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:22:40 PST

Hi,

When several people are working on the same site,
what is the current approach in preventing two
people modifying the same object?

I have seen the buzzword WebDAV here and there.
I have visited the http://www.webdav.org/ site,
but I am still clueless as what it is. It WebDAV
still under intense development? Does Zope support
WebDAV now? Is WebDAV just a protocol extension
to HTTP, so people are still talking to each other
on how to shape up this protocol? For developers
and content managers, what software do we need to
install to use WebDAV?

When the Zope people talk about a "Zope WebDAV
Test Server", are they referring to

(1) A downloadable software package, or
(2) A physical server machine, much like a website
     where you can create accounts for people so they
     can help to develop the eventual server software?

I ask these questions because neither the WebDav homepage
http://www.webdav.org/ nor the Zope WebDav homepage
http://webdav.zope.org:2518/ seem to provide adequate
concise information for people to understand quickly what
WebDAV is. This message, when archived, would help other
newbies like myself.

(Oh, I just found this in one of the E-group messages:

"The Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV)
protocol is a set of extensions to the HTTP protocol
for collaborative editing on the Web. Microsoft was
first to market with WebDAV authoring software in
Internet Explorer 5 and Office 2000, while Zope was
the first application server to provide WebDAV support.
Digital Creations is working with Microsoft to
ensure interoperability with the upgraded WebDAV
support in Windows 2000."

Putting this kind of brief info in the homepages would
help. It's important for user to know two things:

  (1) That WebDAV is not a software package, it's a
      protocol, much like Telnet, FTP or HTTP.
  (2) That things are still under development and
      no WebDAV-enabled Zope server is available
      at this moment.

)

Info on any other current method of locking zope
objects for editing would be appreciated.

regards,

Hung Jung