[Zope] Re: Zope as a content manager for static web sites

Butch Landingin butchland@yahoo.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:55:15 -0800 (PST)

"bob crosley" <bobc@hilgraeve.com> wrote:

> We're using Zope to build a web based app, but we also have a site
> that just serves static pages.  I'd love to use Zope as a content
> management tool for the static site, but can't install Zope on that
> server.
<snip>

Why not just let the static content stay as a static pages in a directory somewhere,
then use the LocalFS Zope product to point to that directory and serve them
up? Of course, I haven't used the LocalFS product in a "real" production environment
(and it may have security implications that I am not aware of) but I've tried it
out in a test environment and its great for serving file-based content I don't
care to convert or store in the ZODB...

The Zope Product is available here:

      http://www.zope.org/Members/jfarr/LocalFS

Another alternative is to use PCGI or FastCGI to convert a portion of your
website to serve up your Zope app -- assuming that the webserver you are using is
supported by Zope (e.g. Apache, Roxen, IIS, Netscape, etc).

Lastly, if you still want to go with your approach of converting your Zope
pages into static text, search through this list's mailing archives -- IIRC,
there have questions about this in the past and several of them have been
answered (use wget or a similar utility that grabs webpages from websites). One
of the downsides of this approach, however, is that you tend to miss out on
a lot of Zope's unique capabilities...

HTH.

Regards,

Butch