[Zope] Zope as a content manager for static web sites

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:26:36 PST

I would be very much interested in the solution, too.

If other people are not clear what the problem is,
I'll restate it here:

(1) You have a website "A" hosted in some web hosting
    service that only allows FTP. Your web hosting
    service does not run Zope.

(2) You know Zope and can run Zope on your own machine "B".

(3) You would like to design things on your own machine "B",
    and once they are ready and looking good, you would
    like to move your web content, in form of static
    web objects (HTML file, images), to your website "A".
    (Notice that you don't want to move stuff like DTML
    methods, external methods, etc. You want to move the
    "rendered" HTML pages!) This is effectively "mirroring".
    Your site "A" is a mirror of your Zope site "B".

Right now, I guess one can always do things in Zope,
and then use some "offline browser" type of software
to grab the entire site or subfolder, and then FTP the
result up to your other website. For offline browsers,
you can go to http://www.download.com/ and type in the
keywords "offline browser". You have many choices. I
know what these things do, but I have not played with
any of them, so I don't know which one is good.

Once you have grabbed what you want from your Zope site,
you can then FTP it onto your site "A".

That being said, I am still interested in any product that
would make this process easier. It takes some time, but
should not be hard to write a product that would check
and update things automatically through FTP... this product
should automatically add/delete files/folders on your site
"A" and avoid FTPing files that have not been modified. If
done well, all you may need to do is clicking on a button,
and your website "A" automatically gets updated. :)

Yeah, I know, easier said than done. :)

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/?start=21555