[Zope] Removing .gif extensions from multiple files

Marsh Murphy marsh@emergence.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:28:07 -0700

Hello,

I'm having problems with file extensions on my images in Zope.

Currently, I'm creating images on my Mac, then using Anarchie to FTP
them into place in Zope on our Linux server. This works fine.

But I don't want my images to have file extensions (.gif, .jpg), because
there are Python / period problems when I call my images using <dtml-var
imageName>.

But if I remove the extensions prior to FTPing them into place, Zope
doesn't recognize them as images, rather as generic files.

So I have to get Zope to think of 'imageName' as a gif. Several
solutions present themselves, in order of attractiveness:

 1. I could have Zope rip '.gif' or '.jpg' extensions off all images in
    a certain directory.

 2. I could have Zope convert all generic files in a certain directory
    to images of type 'gif'.

 3. I could have Zope do the FTPing itself, _from_ a place, and wish
    fervently that file-type would somehow be communicated.

 4. I could opt to not use <dtml-var imageName>, and thus avoid the
    Python / period problems. This is a crappy solution.

This seems like a really basic kind of issue, so I feel like I'm missing
something obvious. I mean, everybody has to get images into directories,
right?

Thanks,

marsh
--