[Zope] Re: ZCatalog and underscore

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:53:17 PST

"lee, kwan soo" <ksle-@plaza1.snu.ac.kr> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/?start=21923
>If you use Chinese, could you tell me how to tell between
>a character and a word in Chinese?

Annyeong haseyo. Arrghh... this is a can of worms. :)

There are just way too many formats. For Chinese characters
embedded in English, people use UTF8 (Unicode Transform
Format?). Nice people use Unicode, but there are very few
of them out there. :) Most people use BIG5 for the traditional
characters, and GB (Guo Biao) for simplified characters.

GB and BIG5 are two-byte encoded. You can tell from the first
byte whether it's 7-bit ASCII character or a Chinese character.
So, you can mix 7-bit ASCII characters and Chinese characters
together without problem.

There used to be a good website at www.ifcss.org, but
always as things with the Chinese, people get political
and fight between themselves, and sue each other in
American courts. :) And voila, the website is gone. :)
And now I am left in a limbo. You can probably find
information just as fast as I do.

Koreans are a lot luckier, as long as you don't use Hanja. :)
Fact is, Korean is actually an alphabetized language. Typing
Korean on computers is actually faster than typing Vietnamese.

And Americans are eating up the rest of the world alive.
Even the French are scratching their heads on what to do
with http addresses... no one dares to use accented characters
for their URL. Voila, so much for the defense of the French
languages. It took internet to knock down the pride of the
French. :)

In short, I don't have a clue. :) Even after trying for a
while on the web. I did do some work a while back with
BIG5 and UTF8. But now I don't even know where to find info.

regards!

Hung Jung