[Zope] Zope/SuSE 6.x How-To v0.1 ready for review

Jules zope@jules.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:26:48 -0500

|At the end of boot.local, I put these lines...
|
|cd /zopedir             ## Had to cd, or start would not run correctly
|. /start &              ## Running as a background process stopped it from
|                        ## halting the rc boot process.
|
|It is crude, but it works.  I don't know what, if anything, is the
|downside of this approach, but I would certainly like to know if
|there is one.

The only problem I can see is that you're not calling PATH_TO_ZOPE/stop .
Maybe one of the Zope Gods can point out if this is a Bad Thing. At 8IPC,
the Digital Creations folks said that ZODB is pretty much bullet proof so it
might not be a problem. If that was truly the case, why the stop script
anyway? ;-)

|Again, thanks, and perhaps this SHOULD be your first(?) HOW-TO on
|your Zope member site!!  Nice job.

You're very kind. Thank you. Please have a look at

    http://www.zope.org/Members/jules/SuSE-6.3_html

and let me know if anything is screwy with it.

I've included my zope start script as a link in that page. The only problem
I can see with the way I call start is that if it fails, I don't know about
it at boot. My script simply forks the zope start script and that will
always return success. Chris McD just warned about piping in this thread so
ideas and tweeks gleefully accepted!

Cheers,
Jules

PS Maybe if enough SuSE users drop SuSE a line, they'll include an RPM in
the next version.