[Zope] Re. Zope/SuSE 6.x How-To v0.1 ready for review

Robert Geiger rgeiger@bellsouth.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:12:38 -0500

SuSE uses Either RPM or tar balls from their YaST "Yet another setup tool"
which does about everything you would want to do in configuration.  Red Had
package manager only uses RPM's.  SuSE also give you about everything you
could possibly want on their 6 CD's, as opposed to Red had.  RH seems more
interested in "packaging" packages into various versions in various boxes.
SuSE gives you ALL in a single box.  They also have a rather intimate
relationship with the XFree86 people and usually have the most current vidio
drivers as a result.  I have had much better results with SuSE and have
since given up on Red Had.  I can not speak, however, to the Debian dist.  I
would Recommend SuSE to anyone.

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of Jerry
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 11:29 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Re. Zope/SuSE 6.x How-To v0.1 ready for review

Maybe I'm thinking of an obsolete version, but isn't SuSE able to use RPM's
for package installation? I thought (at one point, anyhow) their default
package format was RPM.

At any rate, SuSE 6.3 is at the local Best Buys priced around $30.00, with
six CD's full of goodies, and a fairly usable manual. You could start with
Debian (Corel, Red Hat, your choice) as your base OS, download the Zope
RPM, and if the SuSE CDs still use RPM's, grab any additional packages you
want off the SuSE CDs.

I guess this does sound a bit daunting for newbie, after all. Just a
thought.

Good luck!
Jerry S.