[Zope] zope and caching

Bak @ kedai bak@nstp.com.my
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:11:30 +0800

> to build some HTML-page-level caching into Zope soon.  More specifics I
> can't give, it's jammed into the (already very crowded) "nebulous things
> we should be working on".  Sounds sort of like fun though.

i do hope this materialize, since it will only boost Zope.

> I haven't used CachePool... gad, it's hard to keep up.

i did a crude test with ab, and came out with the following.
this is a moderately dynamic page (with dtml-method invoking date time, look
for stuff in ZClass objects, etc).  in summary, about 3 times increase of
transfer rate.

w/o CachePool

 /tmp]# /usr/sbin/ab -n 100 -c 20 http://203.106.2.206:8080/emedia_html
This is ApacheBench, Version 1.3c <$Revision: 1.38 $> apache-1.3
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-1999 The Apache Group, http://www.apache.org/

Server Software:        Zope/Zope
Server Hostname:        203.106.2.206
Server Port:            8080

Document Path:          /emedia_html
Document Length:        14063 bytes

Concurrency Level:      20
Time taken for tests:   43.212 seconds
Complete requests:      100
Failed requests:        97
   (Connect: 0, Length: 97, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      1422643 bytes
HTML transferred:       1402543 bytes
Requests per second:    2.31
Transfer rate:          32.92 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        1    11   375
Processing:   805  7817  8569
Total:        806  7828  8944
 with CachePool
 /tmp]# /usr/sbin/ab -n 100 -c 20 http://203.106.2.206:8080/t_p
This is ApacheBench, Version 1.3c <$Revision: 1.38 $> apache-1.3
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-1999 The Apache Group, http://www.apache.org/

Server Software:        Zope/Zope
Server Hostname:        203.106.2.206
Server Port:            8080

Document Path:          /t_p
Document Length:        14066 bytes

Concurrency Level:      20
Time taken for tests:   14.671 seconds
Complete requests:      100
Failed requests:        66
   (Connect: 0, Length: 66, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      1423367 bytes
HTML transferred:       1403267 bytes
Requests per second:    6.82
Transfer rate:          97.02 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        1   573  3008
Processing:   106  2072  6070
Total:        107  2645  9078

> In addition to caching, have you considered trying to use ZEO over a few
> machines?

yes.  but not until zeo is stable enough, and i'm comfortable with 2.2.0 (what
with all the new security stuff and new behaviour)

but i am going to test it.  fer sure.

thanks
p/s - anybody know why i got failed request when i do ab?