[Zope] [newbie] cgi-tasks howto? stupid question

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:20:49 +0200

>i tried out this but this isnt working  out for me. can you point out the
>error.
>
>my index_html file is
><dtml-var standard_html_header>
><FORM method=post action=http://localhost:8080/3inet/print>
>Enter name: <INPUT type=text name=valname><BR>
>
><INPUT type=submit>
></FORM>
><dtml-var standard_html_footer>
>

>the print file is
><dtml-var standard_html_header>
><h2>
><dtml-var valname>
></h2>
><dtml-var standard_html_footer>
>

>when i submit the form the print page is outputted but the value of the
>textbox(valname) is not outputted. whats wrong?

Um, perhaps a stupid question, but since you are talking about files - is
this a Zope object that is in the Zope object database or is it a file that
is on your file system? If the last, it will not work. Zope keeps it's
objects (files) in it's own database, the ZODB. It is
<zopehome>/var/data.fs. You can't read it directly, it is an object database

>another thing i havent understood is that zope.org is running on zope,
>then why they donot have url based on 8080. if they are using pcgi then
>the url must have been http://zope.org/zope.cgi/index_html   isnt this so?

No, apache let's you circumvent this.

>i also want my url to be simply on http://localhost, what do i need to do
>for this.

 Zope has it's built in webserver, called ZServer. It will run on any port,
as long as you have the right privileges. If you want to change the port,
change <zopehome>/z2.py It is heavily commented. Look for the http port
section, it shouldn't be a problem.

Rik