[Zope] Problems and ponderings

Gerhard Hoogterp G.Hoogterp@slo.nl
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:24:29 +0100

Hi,

In my site I have folder with subfolders and I would like to generate

a menu to go to those subfolders.

What I have now is:

<dtml-in "objectValues()">
   <dtml-var sequence-key>
</dtml-in>

which gives emptynes.. I've tried all kinds of combinations, tricks
from the tips and howto's, but nothing.

Actually I start thinking that zope is not for me. Yes, I'm a
programmer, but here and now creating websites. I want to create a
website, not publish objects. An abstactionlayer between zope and
python would be a good thing. (and don't tell me DTML IS an
abstractionlayer. It confuses the matter, it doesn't simplify.
Including perl straight into the pages would be simpler. Not to
mention that Python is actually decently documented..)

Anyhow, I'm not giving up yet let's check my mental image:

A zope site is an tree of objects, objects inherrit from parents.
(how
do I check if a parent exists?) so there should be a way to refere to

the parent (PARENTS[]) to refer to the current object (?).
I guess there should also be a way to refer to objects in an other
branch of the tree (I would like to have a tools folder which is also

searched when asking for a DTML-methode)

Is my mental image to limited? Does it need adjusting?

Gerhard