[Zope] Stability - can you give us some advice?

David Trudgett dkt@registriesltd.com.au
Fri, 07 Jul 2000 14:51:24 -1000

At 2000-07-07 01:50 -0300, tacio@psmi.com.br wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm new to this list (to Zope too!)and I'm really impressed with its traffic.
>This show us that this project is in active development.
>In our company we are currently working to create a Web site with lots
>of dynamic content, database access, webmail, etc..  so we decided to try
>Zope.
>Although it's lack of documentation ( this would not be fair, with a search
>engine we can dig out lots of useful info from the web) we experienced a
>very fast development cycle. Now we're concerned about its stability. We
>are almost finishing the first stage of project and some times Zope
>hangs. It was  working ok, and then, all of a sudden, it just stops answers
>requests. Last time it happend we changed a DTML Method to a DTML Document
>and it worked again (if you like i'll try to tell you exactly what was
>happenning).
>So, I'd like some advice to make it more stable. ( or tell me what i might
>be doing wrong)

Funny you should mention that. We just had a similar thing happen to us
this morning. We have an installation of Zope 2.1.6 running on Red Hat
Linux 6.0 on an old 486/66 machine (a prototype serving some intranet
content). We aren't doing any database connections on it (through Zope,
that is), but we are running Squishdot (which is the main application in
terms of usage on this particular machine). Zope is running behind Apache
1.3.9, and I noticed that multiple instances of Zope.cgi started up to
service incoming requests, but apparently Zope wasn't responding. I just
restarted Apache and everything was fine again.

Is this a known problem with Zope that has been addressed in 2.2?

Thanks.

David Trudgett