[Zope] Is Zope slow?

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 06:34:45 -0400

I have a lot of time and exposure to Tomcat so it made it easy for me
to run those tests (BTW, now in production, on the same machine Zope
is about 3 times faster!) but none really with  PHP or Mason. In the
end of the day, though, as most of the people have been saying on
this list, you really shouldn't be focusing on comparing the raw
speed of two totally different applications with different feature
sets. I would challenge you to find something as powerful /useful /
extendable as Zope written in any language and if you did, we could
run those benchmarks.

What I *would* suggest focusing on is can Zope provide you with the
right amount of features and functionality and can you scale it? So,
and god willing, your site that you build in Zope goes from
0-1,000,000 hits a day, can you handle it? The answer is yes (a mix
of Pentium, 256 MB Ram and fast drives with Linux will do that). What
about if you double that or go to 10,000,000 a day? Well, that is
where ZEO and load balancing will come in. I can personally tell you
that you could set up four Pentium 300 MHz Zope installations running
a ZEO instance behind a load balance (not nearly are complicated as
it seems) and you would be able to handle most of your Yahoo dreams.

So, keep researching, asking the right questions and looking for
those answers but don't get caught up in the benchmarking game too
long, it is only one very small piece to the equation.

Good luck.