[Zope] Problem with database packing (major data loss)

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:13:47 -0400

> On Zope 2.1.6 if you you pack the database with '0' in the days box
> and then pack it again with '1' in the days box bad things happen. In
> our case the first pack resulted in a Data.fs of 17MBytes (not bad
> from a started point of nearly 2GBytes) the second pack (which I
> assumed would do nothing) resulted in a Data.fs of 3MBytes. Great I
> thought, however it also broke most of my site. Some of the symptoms
> are:
>
> Accessing existing folders gives KeyError
> Many of my ZClasses are turned into DTML Methods (that is the icon
> next to them in the folder view is a DTML Method icon)
> All the instances of the broken classes are broken.
>

> Thankfully I kept backups before performing the packs.

Richard -

A notice was sent out to the list a week or so ago on this -
there is a bug in the packing machinery that (as you found)
doesn't correctly handle things when you pack to certain time
and then subsequently pack to an earlier time. The fix for
this is already checked in for 2.2.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909