[Zope] linuxworld article

Gijs Reulen greulen@gilsing.nl
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:27:22 +0200

Hi

I think the author is right about the interface of Zope. Take a look at what
Enhydra has to offer:
http://www.enhydra.org/software/ScreenShots.html
What the author especially is missing in Zope is something line Enhydra DODS
(Data Object Design Studio), an grafical interactive way to combine objects
and relational data. And 'coming soon' an interactive app-builder...
Zope Studio depends on Mozilla, but how long will that all take to complete
?

Besides laking a slick interface, Zope is missing the real interactivity
Enhydra can offer; Java apps on the server and on the client can communicate
directly and therefore make a lot more visually possible in terms of
administration, debugging, etc.

A solution ?

Has anyone at Digital Creations yet taken a look at Beehive's MetaPublisher
? I think that is the way to go for the short term (Studio being long term)
! Nice looking browser interface, combining data and databases, wizards,
etc.

Python and Zope has momentum NOW, but if we fail to deliver at least some of
the features other platforms have (and the number will increase; for example
with Borland Delphi comming to Linux, so will WebHUB, a webplatform for
Delphi !) new users will be disappointed and go somewhere else.
Zope deserves better then being a temporary hype :-(