[Zope] linuxworld article

Gijs Reulen greulen@gilsing.nl
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:14:17 +0200

> Well Gijs, you've got some points right in what you're saying BUT...
> If you know some HTML and Stylesheets why don't you revamp the
> interface yourself. I have.

I was not talking of myself. I do not care much anymore for the visual
aspect of the interface. However, for new users it could be disappointed.
The interface does not look slick and does not offer interesting looking
wizards that invite to click on. I think it should ! The first acquaintance
with Zope should be a joy ! A new world opening up, a world where everything
seems to be possible !  ;-)
Maybe a bit commercial thinking, but hey, thats what made Microsoft and
Oracle big. Not by delivering but simply by promising... At least Zope
delivers, so what we need is showing the world it does.

I also think that interfacing with stuff like Dreamweaver is very important.
People use that a lot and therefore are familiar with it. Zope would then be
just another back-end like Lasso (the normal Dreamweaver database connection
stuff).

Maybe when installing Zope, it should offer to automatically set up
connections for databases ? Something like: which database do have ? Select
one of more [odbc, Oracle, mySQL, etc. ]. I think this kind of end-user
thinking is what Open Source really lacks compared to commercial software.

Yes, I know, all this is easy to think of but it also has to be realised
-( Unfortunately thats where my personal abilities are lacking...

Gijs Reulen