[Zope] SV: [Zope] Re: ZEO and 2gb max limit for linux .. not for solaris etc.

Jørgen Skogstad jorgen.skogstad@c2i.net
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:33:06 +0200

> > Hmm.. well .. I can tell you what I know as of today. Linux
> > has this limitation as of today. At least all the variants I
> > have come over (mostly Red Hat and Suse). The limitation is in
> > the filesystem implementation itself; meaning that the number
> > of "references" that can be created cannot exceed the address
> > limit of 2gb.
> Not quite true. The problem only exixts in Linux on 32 bit x86 hardware.
> Wherever Linux is 64 bit, the problem is non-extant.
> BTW, both RedHat and Suse (and Debian, IIRC) have distribions for the Alpha platform.

Yep.. didn't think of that as I have never reasoned
for running linux on any of those platforms. ;) I've
used to running Solaris on sparc.. and when needed
linux on x86 hardware (when solaris for intel was not
the correct choice).

Though; I look forward for SGI's implementation og
XFS when it arrives in beta this summer.

Though; are there any possibilities that Zope may
implement "Oracle style" distribution og the databases
in due time? Like then you have a bit more "control"
over where you put your data .. and what kind of devices
you put them on?

.. possibly this can be done through ZEO and the beta
shared object database (mount more than one instance
of the Data.fs files).

Have a real nice day! ;)

Kindest,
Jørgen Skogstad