[Zope] Can multiple processes access a ZODB3 file?

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:20:09 -0600

Ross Boylan wrote:

> If I have Zope running, using ZODB3 on Data.fs, can a separate
> process also use ZODB3 to access Data.fs?  I have my suspicions, but
> I'm not sure.
>
> I'm interested in this because I'm in the middle of a balloting
> period.  People email me their ballots.  I will need to check them
> for validity, send out confirmation or error messages, and eventually
> tally the results.

[...]

> I know Zeo is more in the multi-process space, but I don't want to
> use it for this project because I don't have time to learn it; it's
> alpha; and it seems like overkill for my problem.

Actually, AFAIK, ZEO is the only way to have multiple processes accessing a ZODb
concurrently. There really isn't much to 'learning ZEO'.

AMK has a good intro to using the ZODB, which has a ZEO section. I don't have the URL
handy though ... wait, yes I do...

http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/python/writing/zodb-zeo.html

IMO, going the ZEO route would be easier than the xml-rpc route.
YMMZ

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.