[Zope] Starting Zope

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:53:42 -0600

Nitesh Dhanjani wrote:

> yes, but it would solve the permission problem the original poster
> mentioned.

No, because the orignal user wanted to _start_ Zope as user zope. Unless that user has a
UID/GID of 0 (is, is root by another name),  the file permissions are irrelevant. Now, as
to _running_ (ie, switch to once bound), the directory permissions come into play.

I was basing my response of of:
> How can I to start Zope whit a
> different user than root and cath the
> default HTTP port?

AND

> I see Oleg, more exactly I would start
> ZServer with an user like 'zope', for
> example, but at the same time I want it
> links the port 80!

Of course, it is entirely possible the user meant something other than s/he wrote. ;) But
that last one doesn't seem to indicate that.

To put it succinctly:
If you want Zope to bind to port 80 on *nix
you have few options:

 o Change Zope to run SID ** Bad Idea
 o Modify the kernel so _anyone_
   can bind to ports under 1024 ** even worse
 o START Zope as root, run it as a
   non-priviledged user, preferably one without
   a login.

File permissions are irrelevenat when binding to ports under 1024 on Unix.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.