[Zope] Using Zope and Worldpilot on a large site

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 14:24:18 -0600

Paolo Bizzarri wrote:

> Bill Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Paolo Bizzarri wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Zopers,
> > >
> > > we would like to use Zope for an ISP, with more than 400.000 customers.
> > > Zope would be used with Worldpilot, in order to provide Webmail,
> > > Calendar, to do, etc.
> >
> > THis demonstrates a problem or two with Worldpilot. I would defintiely _not_ use
> > worldpilot in that setting. Why not? Well, the sharing capability (IIRC) gives a list of
> > people on the system you can share with. Think about that for a moment. Four hundred
> > thousand people. One list. It would  be nice if it were possible for people to not appear
> > in the list, and for there to be groups.
> >
> Yes, this is a problem. As a first step, we are going to remove sharing
> from Worldpilot (disabling it). Then we would like to give customers the
> possibility to "create" their own groups and subgroups, so that they can
> build their own "company-on-the-web".

Cool.

> > > Has anyone tried the scalability of Zope till this level ?
> >
> > Well, what you are describing really isn't a test of Zope's scaleability.
> > , but rather workdpilots (and the machines's).
> >
> > Zope's scalability in this case is more a matter of resource usage, than a funtion of the
> > number of users. Thats is to say, what is the expected load of the machine/site. 400,000
> > users will not access all at once, will they? Zope can be scaled accross multiple
> > machines, through the use of ZEO, so if your load gets too high, you can move to a ZEO
> > solution, adding machines as neccessary.
> >
> As far as I can understand, ZEO is still in alpha/beta stage, so I am
> not sure to use it immediately.

That is stur aboiut the stage, but seems to be more

> > One caveat to that is that worldpilot stores data on the filesystem, so that data would
> > need replicated accross the sites. Perhaps NFS or Coda could server this function.
> >
> There is one more problem. Worldpilot create a directory for each user.
> For 400.000 users this means 400.000 directories, which is not nice for
> Linux+ext2 (and in general I am not sure I want a directory with 400.000
> files inside).

Linux+ReiserFS ;^)

> So we are considering either hacking WP, so that it creates something
> like a p/a/paolo directory for the paolo user, or moving data to a
> relational database. The latter could be the preferred solution, but it
> could become a too long step right now. So probably we are going to use
> the former.

I agree this is another issue of WP. Perhaps if it was modified to use ZPatterns ...

> BTW, I have seen WP has the directory /var/spool/worldpilot that is hard
> coded into the code. Perhaps we could create a configuration file for
> WP, in which one can specify these directories.

Yeah, this is one of the my issues with WP. It just seems to be counter to the precepts of
Zope and Linux to hard code this stuff. The other is that user login information is stored
on the hard drive in plaintext.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.