[Zope] Starting Zope

Cary O'Brien cobrien@Radix.Net
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:48:05 -0400 (EDT)

Bill wrote...

> Of course, it is entirely possible the user meant something other than s/he wrote. ;) But
> that last one doesn't seem to indicate that.
>
> To put it succinctly:
> If you want Zope to bind to port 80 on *nix
> you have few options:
>
>  o Change Zope to run SID ** Bad Idea
>  o Modify the kernel so _anyone_
>    can bind to ports under 1024 ** even worse
>  o START Zope as root, run it as a
>    non-priviledged user, preferably one without
>    a login.

You could also run zope behind Apache. The Apache bits that handle
root permissions seem pretty well accepted.  This doesn't really run
Zope listening to port 80, but if you go to port 80 on the machine
running Apache, you get to zope.

One advantage is that you can bounce Zope all day long without even
touching root.  Plus depending on your setup you can have Apache
running on a separate machine.  This can be better depending on the
situation (i.e.  development machines behind a firewall with private
addresses.

The downside is that you need to become aquainted with the wonderful
worlds of mod-rewrite and site-access[1].  Plus you may take a
performance hit.

-- cary

[1] Can someone explain (or point me to the reason) why the <base> tag
is necessary?  It sure can make life difficult!