[Zope] Thread-safe PostgreSQL adaptor?

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:44:57 +0300

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > AFAIK this is the only DA with GPL license.
> > Both Zope and python have much freer licenses making GPL probably
> > a poor choice if you "aims to replace the current ZPygresql DA".
> >
> > What is the reason behind GPL'ing it ?
>
>    Aha, well, the GPL-vs-BSD-vs-MPL-vs...! :)))
>
>    As PostgreSQL mailing list member you (like me) saw these debates many
> times. I don't think we need to continue the flame here :)

True. The problem is that in some perverted fashion it seems to me that if
I use a GPL library with something the whole thing should go GPL, i.e. my
use of ZPoPyDA could make me obliged to distribute Zope under GPL, which I
of course can't do and thus i start feeling scizophrenic ;)

>    There are people who loke BSD-style licensing, and there are GPL
> devotee. In this far-from-ideal world it is hard to say what is more free.
> I, personnaly, love GPL and publish whatever I can under GPL.

I personally don't have anything against (L)GPL either, its just my gut
feeling that having _multiple_ potentially clashing licenses inside what
should be ideally one package is confusing as the interactions of
licenses can't be understood by noone ;)

Hannu