[Zope] Strange Zope behavior/Instability

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:10:06 +0100

Hi,

>For reasons unknown we lost http connectivity to our Zope server three times
>last night. I've checked the http logs and, as I suspected, didn't find
>anything unusual around the time we lost connectivity. The Python processes
>are still running and everything looks normal except for the connectivity
>problem. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? I haven't
>found anything.

[snip]

>operating system:
>Linux 2.2.12-20smp (Redhat 6.1)

We had something similar on a number of Red Hat Linux boxes we run
(both single and multiprocessor). The machine would become
uncommunicative for a while and then magically come back. No apparent
reasons why, no logs, the kind of thing that makes you doubt your
sanity.

The solution was to replace the 3Com ethernet card driver with the
latest version (I got it from
ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/3c59x.c).

You'll need the kernel source, replace the 3c59x.c file with the
latest one. Then like "make modules" and then copy the resulting
3c59x.o file into /lib/modules/<kernel version> directory). Reboot....

Problem went away for us, machine nice and stable. Don't know the
detail around what the problem was or why this solves it.

Simon
--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: simon@nipltd.com