[Zope] Re: Oracle 8i setup

Michal Bukovjan m_bukovjan@advisbbdo.cz
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:21:17 +0200

Hey guys,

I am now lucky to get the Oracle 8i connection working. Here is what I did :

1) Download and install the latest Oracle 8.1.6 Release 2.
- the previous Oracle 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 are broken as hell, the executables will
not even link and there is a lot of unresolved symbols. I wonder on which
distro Oracle tested that, it will not work on Debian, definitely. Did not
expect Oracle to be such CRAP!!! 8.1.6R2 is much better.
- be sure not to want too much from Java wizards. They like to crash a lot, in
both 8.1.5 and 8.1.6

1.1) When asked to run a script root.sh as root, first check the script and
correct the path to awk. In script it thinks it is /bin/awk, on Debian it is
/usr/bin/awk. Other distros may vary. Run the script as root.

2) Download latest beta of DCOracle

3) Download and install the latest beta of ZOracleDA. Replace DCOracle included
in the product with the latest beta of DCOracle, which includes Setup-8.1.5 for
linking with Oracle 8i. It should build now according to instructions.

4) Install ZOracleDA as outlined in docs

4.5) Not sure about this, but hell, my setup now works. So you may try...
            a) Put ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_SID into /etc/profile, so
that everyone has these set up.
            b) Symlink tnsnames.ora for
$ORACLE_HOME/product/8.1.6/network/admin to /etc/tnsnames.ora.
            c) Double check file permissions on $ORACLE_HOME/*
            d) Edit /etc/oratab as needed, start up the databases.

5) Restart Zope.

Now it works for me (Zope 2.1.4), and works for 2 days, did not try any heavy
loads, etc, though. At least it connects and I can browse inside the database.

It gave me some strange error like invalid connection string for some time, but
probably after performing something from 4.5, it now works well, Zope will not
freeze, and it works for two days now.

Hope this helps anyone, we spent three+ days getting this f*cking Oracle to
work :-(

Michal Bukovjan