[Zope] What is "favicon.ico" and why is it an error?

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 06:57:44 -0400

At 9:43 AM +0100 6/9/2000, Toby Dickenson wrote:
>The user wont see error; just the default icon in the favorites menu.

You are correct. They don't see the error but it still produces a Zope error.

>  >Add this to the many reasons that I hate MIE!
>
>do you have a robots.txt, or are webcrawlers evil too? ;-)

This, on the other hand, does not product a Zope error, just is
logged as a 404. It is also useful in keeping search engines away
from certain areas of your site. The favicon.ico trick really has no
use, no functionality, no deeming qualities. M$ also did it in a
bitmap as opposed to a jpg/gif which makes it much bigger than it
should be. It also tells the server that a user has bookmarked your
site, which to some users might seem like yet another breach of
privacy.