[Zope] Does Zope support user authentication, sessions, etc?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:11:45 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boon Hoo" <theebh@magix.com.sg>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 6:05 AM
Subject: [Zope] Does Zope support user authentication, sessions, etc?

> My upcoming project is to build an investment-related website that
> allows members to customise their profiles, portfolios and etc. Users
> can also gain access to "tools" that they have subscribed for.
>
> From the specifications given, my first thought is to implement it in
> object-oriented way of programming. Zope (being open-source and OOP
> from ground-up) naturally came to mind. Therefore, i would like to know
> whether Zope is suitable (and stable enough) to develop this kind of
> websites, bearing in mind other criteria such as scalability, performance,
> and the "learning curve" involved.

Zope can do these things. How exactly you implement it depends on your usage
patterns. There are two easy to use session products (FSSession and
SQLSession) that store the session data in (you guessed it) the File System
or an SQL database. For handling users, there are a few choices. The one
that is most actively being developed right now is LoginManager. It's quite
flexible.

You can check out the in-progress Portal Toolkit to see what some of the
drop-in capability could be like.

Kevin