[Zope] Costs of implementation

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:42:47 +0100

>Zope has a sigmoidal[0] (is that the word?) learning curve.

I'd agree with this, especially if you are working on your own.

Based on our experience of creating a *team* of Zope developers, it
is a lot easier if you can learn in a group.

We built the team up gradually with new members coming in every few
weeks, and because we all site together we were able to learn from
each other's experience and bounce stuff around. We also made sure
that if one person got into a specific area (like ZSQL or ZClasses)
they shared their knowledge. The mailing lists and the archives also
helped a lot, in a lot of cases filling in the gaps in the
documentation.

 From that experience I suspect its easier learning Zope as a group is
easier then working on your own.

 From a business perspective, although we had some ability to pick our
projects, we were productive pretty rapidly and its a testament to
the Power of Zope (and possibly that we had smart guys :-) that our
customers rarely knew we were one page ahead in the manual.... This
was even when compared against working in other tools that we have
experience with.

So, learn Zope with your colleagues and friends, its easier and sociable :-)

Simon
--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: simon@nipltd.com