[Zope] Big folders

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:54:20 -0400

[snip]
> My databases will have millions of objects in what would/will be single
> table/folders. From what I understand ZODB doesn't currently do big
> folders well.
>
> So I guess my question is, should I continue with the SQL and the RDBMS
> or is there a solution that I don't know about or understand with ZODB?

As Shane mentioned, there's a BTreeFolder in the works. Additionally, you
can use the "Rack" from ZPatterns. If you design for a Rack, you can switch
to an RDBMS later on without having to change your application code. But,
you might not need to switch to an RDBMS, because the current Rack
implementation can store objects using BTrees within the ZODB. So,
theoretically, you can have great big piles of objects within a single Rack.

Unfortunately, ZPatterns is still very new and there is not a lot of
documentation. But, when you start playing with it, things become a bit
clearer.

Kevin