[Zope] comercial products using zope

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:10:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Terry Kerr wrote:
> I am researching using zope as a framework for a product that I am going
> develop and sell.  I will develop a python product for zope.  The
> product will not be open source, so I will only be distributing the byte
> code .pyc files, and not the source.  However I understand that it is
> possible to decompyle .pyc files back to the source....although I don't
> know how difficult this is to do successfully.  Are there any tricks

   Pretty easy... There are good decompilers there...

> that I should know about to make this any harder?

   I doubt.

> Basically I want to know if anyone else has used zope for a commercial
> product b4, and how they did it.  Is there anything in particular that I
> should know about.  Should I just rely on a good software license to

   I think good license, good support and good price would serve you much
better than any tricks.

> protect my code?  Also...are .pyc files as platform independent as .py
> files?

   Currently yes, but I'd recommend not to rely on this - may change in the
future.

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru