[Zope] ZDiscussions Problem

Pete Black pete.black@metering.co.nz
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:54:56 +1200

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BFDB6F.231B0790

I have a problem using ZDiscussions -=20

First up, i'd like to whine a bit.=20

<WHINE-MODE ON>
Which product should i use to add a Discussion component to my site?=20

Confera? ZDConfera? ZDiscussions? ZUBB? Squishdot? PTK? Was the Zope =
'Portal' deliberately designed to obfuscate the choices available and =
their respective pros/cons, as well as to make it practically impossible =
to find useful documentation, or has it just happened this way?=20

I'm just about ready to give up on Zope and go back to hacking Perl, =
because, even though i have to write 10 times as much difficult-to-read =
code to get a job done, at least i know that the job is doable, doable =
in a way that suits me, and that if there is a module to do what i want =
to do, it will be findable and documented on CPAN.

<WHINE-MODE OFF>

I don't like to whine, and i think Zope promises to be a great product, =
and i am persevering with it because i think it will (once i get =
implemetation out of the way) make me a great intranet. Many thanks to =
the developers, you have, on the whole, done a wonderful job.

Anyway, my problem is this:

I have a ZDiscussion set up in a folder (off the root folder) called =
TMLDiscussion.

I want to put the contents of the discussion in the index_html method of =
my root folder.

So, i put the following in my root index_html method:

<dtml-with TMLDiscussion>

</dtml-with>

(normally there would be code beteen those two tags to output a =
dtml-tree of messages in the TMLDiscussion object)=20

Even with nothing between the dtml-with tags, i get this error:

Error Type: NameError
Error Value: r

Whats going on? And how do i display the discussion on my index page?

Thanks for any Help

-Pete

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BFDB6F.231B0790

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a problem using ZDiscussions - =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First up, i'd like to whine a bit. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;WHINE-MODE ON&gt;<BR>Which product =
should i use=20
to add a Discussion component to my site? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Confera? ZDConfera? ZDiscussions? ZUBB? =
Squishdot?=20
PTK? Was the Zope 'Portal' deliberately designed to obfuscate the =
choices=20
available and their respective pros/cons, as well as to make it =
practically=20
impossible to find useful documentation, or has it just happened this =
way?=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm just about ready to give up on Zope =
and go back=20
to hacking Perl, because, even though i have to write 10 times as much=20
difficult-to-read code to get a job done, at least i know that the job =
is=20
doable, doable in a way that suits me, and that if there is a module to =
do what=20
i want to do, it will be findable and documented on CPAN.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;WHINE-MODE OFF&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't like to whine, and i think Zope =
promises to=20
be a great product, and i am persevering with it because i think it will =
(once i=20
get implemetation out of the way) make me a great intranet. Many thanks =
to the=20
developers, you have, on the whole, done a wonderful job.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, my problem is =
this:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a ZDiscussion set up in a folder =
(off the=20
root folder) called TMLDiscussion.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I want to put the contents of the =
discussion in the=20
index_html method of my root folder.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, i put the following in my root =
index_html=20
method:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;dtml-with =
TMLDiscussion&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;/dtml-with&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(normally there would be code beteen =
those two tags=20
to output a dtml-tree of messages in the TMLDiscussion object) =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Even with nothing between the dtml-with =
tags, i get=20
this error:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Error Type: NameError<BR>Error Value:=20
r</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Whats going on? And how do i display =
the discussion=20
on my index page?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for any Help</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Pete</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BFDB6F.231B0790--