[Zope] ZMailIn 0.1 - mail into Zope

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:31:22 +0100

Hi,

A few weeks ago we had a discussion on this list about a way of
getting mail into Zope. We've been doing some work in this, resulting
in "ZMailIn".

We've put a preview version of ZMailIn up on Zope.org, at
http://www.zope.org/Members/NIP/ZMailIn/

ZMailIn allows you to send an email into Zope. Specifically:
   - the mail system (Exim, Sendmail, etc.) passes the email to a Python
     script
   - this script uses HTTP POST to call a DTML method that creates an instance
     of a ZClass containing the mail

This code is pre-release, and has been lightly tested. Its intended for people
who are curious about how this work is progressing and/or want to
have input into the design process.

At the moment things are very simple, and most of what should be
configuration is in fact hard coded - the intention at this stage is
to get something working. The remaining work is to:
   - deconstruct the email into its bits (attachments, multipart MIME, etc.)
   - allow the configuration to be done in Zope, so more than one email address
     can be used, to call different DTML methods.
   - whatever other changes are required

Enjoy....

Simon
--