[Zope] ZODB performance: reads to writes

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:11:46 -0500

I know this has been brought up before, but I don't remember if this
question has been asked.

I've been reading everything I could find on the ZODB. Currently I am
reading 'Introduction to the Zope Object Database' by Jim Fulton at
http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/Info/IPC8/ZODB3/index.html .

Towards the end of the paper under Status, he starts referring to future
features. Under 'Application-level conflict resolution protocols' he
states this, 'Applications with much higher write to read ratios are
likely to encounter frequent conflict errors which can seriously affect
performance.'

Is this pretty much the primary reason that it is generally said that
the ZODB isn't as well suited to high write situations? Or is there more
to it than that?

The reason I ask is this.

My app by it's nature as a community/portal will have plenty of writes
in certain areas. However, due to the structure of the website and the
app most all writes are to unique objects, are appends to an object or
the person editing the object is the owner and has no one to conflict
with. In this case there should be little if any ConflictErrors due to
different users trying to commit changes to the same object. In the case
of the appends, it would be like a bboard and there would be no
conflict. Appends will be done in the order received.

Will an app as described above still suffer from problems with high
writes?

Thanks for any help.

Jimmie Houchin