[Zope] HTML Editors that recognize DTML (was bastardized form ofXML)

Jeff Peterson jpeterso@the-bridge.net
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:16:38 -0500

As promised I did some checking over the weekend.

As for Windows editors, Homesite WILL let you create tags,
it works quite well actually.  One draw back (or a blessing,
depending on your view) would be that it would force you to
do dtml attributes long form, for example:

	<dtml-var name="foo"> rather than <dtml-var foo>

the nice thing is that you would have a nice drop down menu
of choices.  It supports syntax highlighting and has a ton of
helpful features.  In addition, if you gather enough Homesite
"clue" you could also create your own wizards to accomplish
certain tasks.

Also for Windows there is Multi-Edit.  Not as powerful as Homesite
as an HTML, CFML, ad infinitum editor(well, maybe as powerful but
it has all sorts of toolbars and buttons to push...annoying), but
it has support for a tremendous number of legitimate programming
languages built in including PERL, Python, JavaScript, C/C++, Delphi,
ad nauseam.  While you can edit all this in Homesite, Multi-Edit
provides support for compilers, error messages, and templates for
almost any programming language you can think of (ad nauseam, remember?).
This doesn't necessarily help with DTML but maybe it's not all you do.

Both of these are priced nicely, Homesite goes for about $100 and
can be checked out at www.allaire.com, while Multi-Edit prices at
around $130(online) and can be found at www.amcyber.com.

For Linux there is a nice little editor called NEdit.  NEdit
includes customizable syntax highlighting, spell checker, etc.
Unfortunately I know not of whether you can create customized tags
but, I doubt it very much.  Not as nice as the Windows stuff and
there may be better editors made for Linux but this one does
nicely in a pinch and beats the snot out of vi.  RPM's, and source
are both available, for free of course.

That's my $.02,

Jeff Peterson
Software Engineer