[Zope] ZPatterns: Deleting objects from a Rack?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:33:37 +0100

Ty Sarna wrote:
> call the manage_delete() method on the object. That is, you ask the
> object to delete itself.

This seems unnecessarily long-winded to me. What are the reasons for it
being like this? (examples are good... ;-)

> However, once you have the object, operations on the object should be
> done as methods on the object.

I'm sure it's against Demeter's Law (I've read the Wiki ;-) to work this
way. You should ask the rack to delete an object and it can process this
how it wants... most often this would be by asking the object to delete
itself, but maybe it's be more efficient for the rack to just delete the
object (for example, if the object is actually a row in an SQL table)

cheers,

Chris