[Zope] how to get email delivery errors

Ben Leslie benno@sesgroup.net
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:19:40 +1000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Dan Rusch wrote:

> Our site allows supervisors to email orders back to sales reps. We have
> this working very well. The problem is if the supervisor types in an
> non-existant email address we aren't getting Mail System Error -
> Returned Mail messages like you would from other email apps such as
> Netscape Messenger. Does anyone know how to accomplish this.
>
> Thanks,
>  DR

AFAIK Returned Mail messages are generated by the SMTP server, not by the
email client application.

The reason you might not be recieving these _could_ be because the headers
are being incorrectly genereated. You probably want to check what you set
the "From:" header as, this would usually be the address that any errors
are sent to (unless you state a "Sender:" header in which case that is used
IIRC, you can always check RFC822 ;).

I would suggest checking the smtp server logs to see what is actually happening
here.

Cheers,

Benno