[Zope] Howto engineer a scientific paper system

Ben Leslie benno@sesgroup.net
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:12:57 +1000

> XML stuff in zope. Which leads me to the later suggestion, I have
> tried out DocBook product, rendering is very slow on my computer.
> And again it is too big of a new concept for me now.

Yeah, I find rendering slow on my workstation too. (And mine is reasonably
fast - 450mhz). DocBook does seem to take a while to get your head around the
whole thing, I'm still trying to grok it myself, however it does one thing
that I am really into, that is seperation of content from presentation (note,
LaTeX also does this to an extent). I find it really handy to be able to give
people documentation to people in the most appropriate format, (HTML for web,
Postscript for print, and RTF for PHBs who use word ;).

The time to compile (for want of a better term) the DocBook into a presentation
format isn't too much of a problem IMHO, since once you become proficient in
its use yuo won't need to compile after each change just to see what it looks
like.

Cheers,

Benno