[Zope] AS400, DB2 and Zope

Andrew Lahser andrew@apl-software.com
6 Mar 2000 03:20:22 -0000

I am putting together a proposal for a steel, cooper and plastics
manufacturer based out of Germany, but with a large IT shop in
Detroit. They are looking at Uniface Web Application Server, from
Compuware, to do their web work. Although they approached me for
my Uniface expertise, they seem open minded toward Zope. This is
their first experience building an application on the internet.

Thier data is stored in a DB2 database on an AS400. While I have
used DB2, that has only been on MVS (don't the call it OS/390 now?,
am I dating myself?), and I was never the DBA. They seem to be
open minded about the operating system for deploying the web
application server, but I suspect that they will want to use
Solaris. I gues I am nervous because I don't know what I need
to know, and I don't have a AS400 laying around to play with.

Is ODBC an option for talking to DB2 on an AS400 from a Solaris
box running Zope? How about from a linux box running Zope? Has
anyone heard the news on the OCI-based driver that DC promised
"real soon now" at the IPC8? Does anyone have that working?

I am going to pitch Zope and this project proposal on March 17.
There is a lot of money on the line, I appreciate any assitance and
my memory is long. If appropriate, please resond to me in private.

Thanks,
Drew
andrew@apl-software.com